Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I am looking to give my dog klonopin for a panic attack. She…

Customer Question
I am looking to...

I am looking to give my dog klonopin for a panic attack.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

She is 17 lb Boston terrier and has no other health issues and is not on any other medication

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She does not hurt. She is having a anxiety attack. She is pacing, agitated, panting, and shaking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Khloe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Khloe?

She is 9 years old. That is the only other thing I can think of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
3/30/2018
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 3 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Are you looking to get a prescription for this?

How do you know is it a panic attack and not an illness?

How long has she been like this?

Is she eating and drinking?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

What is her temperature?

I see you are off line. It is dangerous to give your dog a prescription medication that is not specifically for her. Sometimes you can do more damage and find yourself in an expensive ER Vet.

It might be better to keep over the counter melatonin on hand for anxiety as it is a bit safer. Here is information and dosing.

Melatonin found in drug stores by vitamins
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

That being said, if you are still insistent on giving Klonopin here is dosing for that. I would advise against it.

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/clonazepam-klonopin-for-dogs-and-cats/