Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog eyes are very red. Cloudy. He is peeing a lot.

Customer Question
Hi my dog eyes...

Hi my dog eyes are very red

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

Cloudy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

He is peeing a lot

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Drinking a lot of water

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Red eyes

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
3/30/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Cloudy's eyes are red and he's urinating a lot. How old is he?

He is 11

How long have his eyes been red? How long has he been drinking a lot of water? Have you noticed any weight loss?

Are you there?

Yes, sorry for the delay.

Common causes of excessive drinking and weight loss in older dogs are kidney disease and diabetes. Has he had any lab work done lately?

He had lab work done a few months ago

The red eyes are probably unrelated to whatever is causing the excess urination, and may be due to allergies.

Is he likely in pain?
What do I do?

Another cause of excessive urination is a bladder problem, such as an infection or crystals, and if he does have a urinary tract infection or crystals, that can cause pain.

The best thing for him would be to have lab work repeated. Dogs age more quickly than we do, and a lot could have changed in the few months since the last lab work was done.

Okay repeat blood work
How do I checked for an infection?
He is not crying or making any noises when he pees

Your vet will get a urine sample and check it for red blood cells, white blood cells, bacteria and crystals. They will also check how concentrated the urine is to see if his kidneys are working properly.

It's good that he does not seem painful when he pees, and urinary tract infections are uncommon in male dogs. You still want to rule that out, though.

If he has diabetes? Kidney disease?
What now?
Just go to a vet?
You have to stay with me.
I’m crying I need to know

I'm right here.

Sorry for the delay,

Yes, I do recommend getting him in to the vet for lab work. It's good that he's not in any pain so I don't think it's an emergency. You can take him in during normal day time hours, but I wouldn't let it go too long (within 7 days).

Many of the conditions that older dogs develop can be managed medically if caught early enough.