Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 14 yr old chihuahua and for about a month she. I…

Customer Question
I have a 14...

I have a 14 yr old chihuahua and for about a month she

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

I have noticed her swallowing deeply, not constantly but enough to notice, she also sleeps very deeply and at times again not always about 2 nights out of 7where you hear a deep heavy breathing pattern. Recently when thin the past 3 weeks she has literally chomped down many leaves off my ficus tree indoors twice and of course I know why but the swallowing with extended neck movement is odd, especially when she is not eating. She otherwise is full of energy, will play at any moment, run around and is great, no fever, she eats good organic food and loves veggies, and seems to feel fine but her breathing does sound difficult in moments as mentioned but she notices none of this

Veterinarian's Assistant: It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Her last visit to the vet a month ago for her annual checkup for everything revealed she does have a shallow heartbeat at times otherwise she is tip top, weight everything and active when she is not napping which in these breeds is normal also being I live in Florida

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
3/29/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Will you please attach video of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Ok, I am happy to do this but I will have to do it when she is doing this and currently she is sleeping, so please advise if this is ok as she is with me all day, I work from home and she is usually not far.
Kindly,
Emma
I am happy to have a call, send video or eve video chat when it is happening however this usually happens n the afternoon or evening
But I like your concerned response so I would like to have your opinion rather than another on this site so please just let me know how to proceed. Thank you

Thank you for your response, Emma. There is no time constraint to our chat, so you can reply at any time with additional information. Video will work best for me so I can review the collected data.