Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Maximus licked peanut oil out of frying pan, about two cups.

Maximus licked peanut oil...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

MA

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is MA?

Maximus, one year old half shepard half Rottweiler about 100#

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about MA?

Health wise nothing else

3/29/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. How long ago did this happen?
  2. Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?
  3. How is he feeling now?
  4. Has he eaten or drank anything since this happened?

That is a lot of fat, even in such a large dog.

Eating that much fat can lead to significant gastrointestinal upset, vomiting and diarrhea.

In some cases that can also lead to pancreatitis, inflammation of her pancreas causing increased enzyme production, usually related to a high fat meal, which can lead to severe abdominal pain and possibly peritonitis.

I would induce vomiting if he ate this within the last 2 hours.

Induce vomiting by giving him 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 3 tablespoons orally, or mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks, then take him out and run him around to get the peroxide fizzing.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

You must use FRESH (UNEXPIRED) peroxide. Expired peroxide has no efficacy.

To try and settle his stomach today after he vomits you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. You can give either one of these for a couple days to help his stomach heal. Peroxide works by irritating the stomach lining, which should cause the dog to vomit. Sometimes we can see residual irritation even after vomiting. To prevent trouble I recommend using an acid reducer for a few days.

If i has been more than 2-3 hours since he ate the oil it is too late to induce vomiting, or if it has been less than 2 hours but you choose not to induce vomiting, I would food fast him for 24 hours.

Then if he doesn't vomit or seems at all to have an upset stomach feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain white rice for the next few days.

If he doesn't vomit it back up or he seems nauseous for the next few days you can still use the acid reducers and bland diet to try to prevent trouble.
If you don't induce vomiting and later he starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a bout of pancreatitis and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

It's was over 3 hours ago. He vomited a little, twenty minutes ago, not a lot. I didn't notice that he drank the oil until after he was fed.

I see, given that length of time it is likely too late to do much now then, the oil is well out of his stomach.

Now that you know I would not feed him for 24 hours, use an acid reducer if he vomits any more, and feed him small meals of the bland diet mix when you start feeding 24 hours from now.

I would expect to see some significant diarrhea from this so be prepared to get him outside often.

If he is vomiting a lot or has uncontrollable diarrhea despite the food fast and bland diet he needs to see a veterinarian.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian