Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Shaking of head, some scratching. No odor from either ear, I…

Shaking of head, some...

Shaking of head, some scratching. No odor from either ear, I know similsan works well for my husband. Wanted to be sure it was safe for the dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Ranger he is 5. Total sweetheart in any setting except the vet, he gets way stressed out. Even has caution on his chart, which is funny because of my two dogs he is the docile one.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ranger?

Nope very healthy, does not seem to be in pain, let's me touch ears

Shaking is occasional, mainly while standing. We have had a high amount of pollen and wind the last few days
3/28/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. Similisan has been used for allergies and appears effective in some dogs but not all. There have been no formal studies in dogs to go off of, but no adverse effects have been reported that I can find. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Is there anything over the counter you would recommend?

If it's just allergic without a bacterial or yeast component, I have had some good success with OTC Zymox. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-King-Brand-Treatment-Hydrocortisone/dp/B0025YOJXS

I also like this ear cleaner which if you use it twice a week every week helps to keep the environment in the ear such that bacteria and yeast are not likely to grow there. Link:

https://www.amazon.com/Virbac-Epi-Otic-Advanced-Ear-Cleaner/dp/B0056EAKUA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_199_lp_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YPVNB7MS5CV64T1S9WR3

Heath Wilkerson

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson