Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 10 month old Sheltie injected some zodiac powerspot.

My 10 month old...

My 10 month old Sheltie injected some zodiac powerspot

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Roxy. Age 10 months. About 20 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxy?

The active ingredient is permethrin 45% and Methoprene 2.9%. It was for under 30 pounds. She didnt inject the entire thing

3/28/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Where was this product injected?

Are you seeing any symptoms currently?

How long ago did this happen?

She chewed the package and punctured the applicator. It was empty but a few small spots on the floor. No symptoms. She drank alot of water. It was an hr ago

Do you mean "ingested" and not "injected", by chance?

Ingested yes

Thank you for the additional information. In limited quantities, this medication is unlikely to cause any symptoms at all. In higher volume, however, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. can be seen. In some cases, we can also see seizures.

Since she's having no symptoms at this time and this happened an hour ago, I would watch her closely. If you see any symptoms of being unwell, she needs to go to your local ER overnight. If you must watch her until morning and GI symptoms develop, I can give you some steps to take at home. If you do not see any symptoms within 24 hours, she should be out of the woods. Dogs are apt to repeat this type of situation, so be sure to keep the product out of reach in the future.

If GI symptoms develop and you must address them from home, the first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thanks. This is helpful. If she has no symptoms of illness then just continue with her regular diet?