Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 5 yo Great Dane has a swollen front paw - in the soft…

My 5 yo Great...

My 5 yo Great Dane has a swollen front paw - in the soft area between toes and the few claw. Can I give her anything for pain? Any ideas on what that might be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is***** 5 years and 4 monthhs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Olive?

She’s really a healthy dog! No other issues.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Will you please attach pictures of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Any potential she might've have snagged the dewclaw on something, causing injury?

Her dew claws were removed before I got her. I guess I think it’s maybe something she stepped on?!? can I give her any anti-inflammatory that might be a human med? She weighs 115lbs

At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would recommend talking to your vet about diagnostics like x-rays to see what is going on beneath the skin. Aspirin can help with pain, but canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as Rimadyl combined with tramadol, may be needed to offer the most relief from discomfort. If she stepped on something, infection may be present and antibiotics may also be needed.

I do want to mention that with any degree of leg swelling, especially if it might be associated with bone, there is potential for osteosarcoma. I don't want to needlessly alarm you, but danes do have a higher-than-average risk when it comes to this type of cancer. One of the first things we see is swelling and discomfort. X-rays can be very useful in diagnosing these cases.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you. I appreciate your help. I will take her in tomorrow and maybe give a little aspirin tonight. Thanks so much!!

You're very welcome. I hope she's back to feeling herself in no time. Please be sure to rate before signing off tonight so the website will compensate me for helping you. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse