Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate a rawhide yesterday and today she's been throwing…

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a rawhide yesterday and today she's been throwing up yellow slime all day. She refuses to eat or drink anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Bebe she's a 2 year old pit bull about 50lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bebe?

Im pretty sure she chewed the bone up I don't think she swallowed any of it whole. But that's the only thing I can think of that would have made her sick

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bebe?

I did give her 10ml of Pepto and also about 20 ml of Pedialyte

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
3/27/2018
Dog Specialist: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi. Dr W here. I'm sorry to hear this :(

Rawhides can take a long time to dissolve and can definitely upset the stomach. I'm going to send you a link below for a better rawhide type option that doesn't have this problem and also cleans the teeth and freshens the breath.

As for the vomiting, if the vomiting persists longer than 24 hours, she should be seen by her vet for fluids and electrolytes and medications to stop the vomiting. In the mean time you can help by offering Pedialyte like you are doing for hydration and electrolyte balance and some canned pumpkin to help settle her stomach. You can also give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next 24 hours. It is a bland diet that can help while the stomach is getting back to normal.

Dog Specialist: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago

Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Virbac-HEXtra-Premium-Hygiene-Chews/dp/B001P3NU3K

These look like rawhide but the quickly dissolve into small particles in the stomach so they are much safer IMO.

Dog Specialist: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago

I hope this information is helpful to you! If you have any other questions I'll be online for about another hour. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way).

Dog Specialist: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi please take a minute to accept the answer and rate 5 stars. Without the rating, I will not receive any credit for helping you. Thanks.