Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She was woke up reverse sneezing like she has done

She was woke up...

She was woke up reverse sneezing like she has done occasionally for the past 10 years and now she keeps on walking backwards in circles. Never don’t this before.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Trixie she is a toy fox terrier that is 16yo

She also was shaking her head occasionally since this started.
3/27/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

She seems ok. She has been sleeping in her bed soundly.
I recently remembered that she had tried to come up our basement steps 3 days ago and right as she got to the top she didn’t have enough strength to make the last step and she slipped and tried to turn around to head back down and fell off the side of the steps and landed on her right side shoulder/face area. Could this be a cause to her episode?

Can you clarify to which episode you're referring: The reverse sneezing, shaking her head or walking backwards?

Did she sustain any injury from the fall?

Is she on any medication at this current time?

Any scooting behavior?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Is she still eating and drinking well?

The walking backwards/shaking head episode. No new meds or food, nothing out of the ordinary other than the fall. She was on the 6/7th step up and fell on concrete.

Is she still eating and drinking well?

Any scooting behavior?

How far down was the fall to the concrete?

I would say 3 to 4 feet, no scooting and she has not tried to eat or drink since this happened 3 hrs ago and it is the middle of the night here.
After the fall she got right up and seemed completely fine.

Walking backwards typically indicates that dogs are in pain. When no injury has occurred, we usually associate it with anal gland discomfort or discomfort in the back end. If this has started since the fall, and given her age, I suspect she's likely experiencing this episode due to being sore. X-rays would be wise to have your vet evaluate her spine and hips to ensure she has not suffered a fracture. If you must treat from home, I would do the following: If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also recommend talking to your vet about diagnostics like x-rays to confirm the presence of arthritis and then using canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort.

Shaking of the head can indicate many concerns, as well, such as an ear infection and even allergies. If she's examined today, ask your vet to perform an examination on the ears with an otoscope to ensure no infection is present. If you must address this at home, try 1-2mg/pound of body weight orally every 8-12 hours. Know that this medication can cause sleepiness, so you may find with the aspirin that she rests during the day.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Her fall was over 3 days ago and has been fine ever since. She does not have Anal gland issues or ear infections. I’m more concerned if she may have some brain swelling or inflammation around the brain stem causing this. She had also had a lot of drool in her mouth. It seems like a very odd type of seizure or stroke?

Don't rule out the potential of anal gland concerns or ear infection without an exam. Neither of these can be examined externally and need internal evaluation to check for abnormality. The potential of brain swelling is possible if she hit her head but we often see other symptoms alongside this, such as oral pain and avoidance of food or water, difficulty walking straight, seizures etc. If this were a situation of stroke/vestibular disease, we'd likely see imbalance issues and nystagmus (rapid movement of the eyes), which you've not reported. Seizures are typically characterized by loss of consciousness and convulsions, you've mentioned neither. You could potentially be seeing a focal seizure, but it would be wise to rule out the more common causes of these symptoms (like an ear infection or anal gland concern). Keep in mind, I cannot see what you're seeing so I am limited in what I can offer. If you are worried about brain swelling, an examination is warranted. An MRI/CT evaluation could be useful in diagnosing such a symptom though the cost is usually prohibitive in a 16 year old dog. Your vet may wish to try a course of steroids or anti-inflammatory medication to help relieve the inflammation. Drooling could be associated with quite a few medical concerns, as well, from nausea to oral pain. We can also see drooling with vestibular disease (nausea) and seizures. This would come and go, however, where we'd see consistent drooling with nausea or pain.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Ok I will def have a full examination done by my vet to rule those things out. She has just eaten her full breakfast and has only don’t the walking backwards a little bit. Thank u for all your help.

Sure thing.