Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has blood in his stool. Over the past month his diet…

My dog has blood...

My dog has blood in his stool.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Over the past month his diet has been off.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Capone

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Capone is 4 years old. He’s not neutered. He’s up to date with vaccines. Will be going in on May to get them updated when they are due. I have fed him raw meat from Darwin’s and a portion of oatmeal/rice twice a day for the past 4 years. His stool was fine. About a month and a half ago I stupidly put corn in his diet and than my boyfriend stupidly undercooked his rice so his stools were diarrhea like. Eventually we went on vacation and left Capone At a friends place for a week. This friend stated his poop was soft stool like and would prefer to give him only the meat patty. He stopped giving the peanut butter as well. After all this capone lost significant weight. When I got him back I put him on 2 meat patties in the am and 1 meat patty with oatmeal at night to try and get his weight back up. I also added coconut oil for extra calories and peanut butter as well as a a snack and for extra calories. At one point I gave him Newman’s treats made with sweet potato; I think I gave him too much because he started having soft stools. When I stopped giving him this his poop was solid. After all this His poop was becoming solid until now. He has bright red blood in his stool. Also forgot to mention this friend is actually a pet trainer who did me the favor and crate trained him while I was away. Currently Capone has woke me up
Twice in the middle of the night breathing heavily, this time he peed on his bed and in his crate. Finally I take him out and he’s pooping bright red blood with brown diarrhea. I gave him Greek yogurt for probiotics yesterday evening for first time in a long time. His appetite is fine, he’s playing and running like usual. Is he stressed? What should I do ? Should I be worried? Shold I stuck to oatmeal for a while ? Thank you, leda.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/27/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I see you would like a phone call. Give me a couple of minutes to submit the phone request please. Thank you

Hi I submitted the phone call, so you should be able to accept it now

In the mean time I'm going to give you some basic information on bloody diarrhea in dogs...(continued)

What you are describing could be what we call hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. It can occur from a variety of causes such as eating an unusual food, drinking out of puddles and picking up parasites, stress, etc. If the diarrhea persists longer than 24 hours or is of a large volume, then he should be seen by his vet for fluids and electrolytes and medications to stop the diarrhea. In the mean time you can help by offering Pedialyte for hydration and electrolyte balance and some canned pumpkin to help settle his stomach. You can also give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach. I would feed something gentle boiled chicken and white rice for the next 24 hours. It is a bland diet that can help while the stomach is getting back to normal.

I hope this information helps, and feel free to proceed with the phone call if you like. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Heath Wilkerson
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you I will do as told. If I would like to follow up with you how do I do so?

You should be able to follow up with me by posting here. I believe the post stays open for 7 days.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
What are your credentials by the way?

I'm a veterinarian. Hope things improve quickly.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
They did I’m amazed I’m just hoping once I get him to his regular diet things will continue to get better! Thank you for your help!

You're welcome! I'm glad things are better. That makes me very happy:) It's best to gradually mix in his regular food a little at a time with the chicken and rice over the next 3-5 days so as not to shock his system.

Also, if you agree, would you update my rating to 5 stars? I know it seems silly but it matters to how the website sees me and allows me to help others. Thanks and have a great night!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Yeah I tried doing so but couldn’t figure out how ... how do I do that?

Thank you. I honestly have no idea how that part of the website works, lol. Thanks for trying.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hi my dog is still have liquid stools . On Monday when I gave him pumpkin his stool came out soft but formed and orange like. After Monday his stools are liquid like and orange yellow color. This morning it remained the same with a clear or white like layer. I stopped giving him pumpkin on Monday. I gave him another half a Pepcid pill this morning to see if that’ll alleviate it. I’m continuing to give him a little oatmeal with white rice and boiled chicken. I gave him a little plain yogurt yesterday. Is this just a matter of time ? I also forgot to mention he’s an English bull dog. Not sure if this makes a difference.

Yes it takes time, the stools on Monday sound encouraging because they were firming up. Did you run out of pumpkin? I would keep doing pumpkin for a few more days though and the probiotics are good. But if it stays liquidy even with the pumpkin, then getting an antibiotic from your vet may be necessary.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok so continue with pumpkin and yogurt. How about the Pepcid ? And an antibiotic? Does that mean he has like a bacteria that’s causing digestive issues ? Thank you

Yes you can continue the Pepcid. It doesn't mean it was caused by a bacteria, but when the GI tract gets upset the trace amounts of unhealthy bacteria that always live in there can have a chance to overgrow and flourish causing even more problems.

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson