Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He won’t eat or drink anything. I think he was abused

Customer Question
He won’t eat or...

He won’t eat or drink anything. I think he was abused somehow with food from his previous owner. He’s super skinny so I’m scared if he goes another day without food things will get really bad

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He has diarrhea and inflammation. I’m trying to give him probiotics and these other herbal supplements but we wiggles so much I’m scared his neck will snap because he’s so skinny

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
3/27/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?​

He at very very little. I just need him to eat more
ate

Will you please attach pictures of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

How long have you had him?

Has he been in to see your vet for diagnostics to ensure no underlying conditions are causing him to be unable to gain weight?

WHat breed is he?

He’s a mix but more terrier looking. They gave me probiotics and herbal supplements for digestion because they said his digestive system was inflamed. But getting him to take it is difficult since he won’t eat

Has he been in to see your vet for diagnostics to ensure no underlying conditions are causing him to be unable to gain weight? X-rays? Bloodwork?

How long have you had him?

What foods have been tried thus far?

the before mentioned is what the vet told me. They took a fecal sample. Waiting on that.

Okay, so far there's been no bloodwork or x-rays, correct?

How long have you had him?

What foods have been tried thus far? What types of canned or soft foods?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

If you've answered these questions I did not receive the reply.

He has diarrhea. No blood work done no X-rays. They said no more wet food animal protein. They gave me kibble but he won’t eat it. Apparently animal protein makes it worse. They gave me probiotics but again he won’t eat anything so it’s hard to give it to him. This is the fourth day I’ve had him

What kibble was provided?

It sounds like there's more going on here than just refusal of food. So, we've established that he's not had any diagnostics but a fecal examination (results pending) and that he doesn't want to eat the food he's been prescribed. Can you tell me how they came to the conclusion that he cannot handle animal protein? Has the canned variety of the hydrolyzed protein diet been tried?

The vet said he has inflammation in his intestines. Hence the not eating animal protein. The gave me the bag, herbal supplements and probiotics and a prescribed medication. But i can’t get him to take any of it because he won’t eat.

Inflammation can be caused by a wide variety of conditions, many of which respond quite well to bland diets vs. non-usage of animal proteins. I certainly don't think it would hurt to give the HP diet, but if he's not eating it that doesn't effectively address his medical problems. I am concerned that he's not had any diagnostics performed thus far to try to establish why he is so thin and doesn't want to eat. Can you tell me how they diagnosed the inflammation in the intestines? Was your vet able to palpate thickening of the bowels?

Has the canned variety of the hydrolyzed protein diet been tried?

He’s on the HP diet. I put sweet potato I was having for myself and put the HP dry food in warm water and he started lapping it up. So hopefully that’s the trick. She said based on the symptoms I described she thinks it is that. I’m taking him to the vet again tomorrow to do some kind of water bag treatment to get his medicine in him.

We've established that he's on the HP diet, but the bag you've included is the kibble variety. What I am asking is this: Has the canned variety of the hydrolyzed protein diet been tried?

Also, can you tell me how they diagnosed the inflammation in the intestines? Was your vet able to palpate thickening of the bowels?​

It sounds like they are planning to perform SQ fluids. What medication are they intending to give him through those fluids, do you know?