Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Does this cost money. Crusty scab on neck. It has yellow…

Does this cost money ...

Does this cost money

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Crusty scab on neck. It has yellow puss

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Maverick 1.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maverick?

He keeps scratching his ears. He actually has these scabs all over his back

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
He has itchy, scratched up ears. He scratches all over the place. Hot spots, allergies? He eats Purina Beneful Originals with Real Salmon Adult Dry Dog Food. Is there something else he should be on?
3/27/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Still itchy.

Will you please attach pictures of what you’re seeing with the scab and puss? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok. Hold on. I will do my best. He's a German Shepherd and doesn't like to be picked on.

I'll be standing by.

Has Maverick had an examination yet for these symptoms? Have any medications been tried that have not worked?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
None yet.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
He won't stop scratching his ears or biting his back. He's got very dry, flakey skin.

The ears do look infected and the scabs on his back look infected, as well. I would strongly urge you to have an examination performed. Oral antibiotics, as well as medication for his ears, will need to be prescribed following an ear cytology. If these symptoms have just started, it's very likely that you're seeing symptoms of allergies with secondary infection having set in. If you must treat from home, I would trip the fur away from any scabs, clean daily with a warm washcloth and mild water, then apply regular Neosporin 2x daily and massage in well. You can also use Benadryl at 1-2mg/pound of body weight given orally every 8-12 hours. This should help greatly with the itchiness and his biting. An e-collar would also be wise to keep him from causing more skin trauma. E-collar instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU or you can buy one at your local pet store.

If this becomes a chronic issue, you may need to look into switching to a grain-free or even novel protein diet, though I would do that in the future if these symptoms persist despite treatment. Be sure he's also kept on a flea tick prevention year round so this does not contribute to the intense itching he's experiencing.

If you need help finding a vet in your area who can see Maverick, let me know. I'll need your city and state.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok. Let me discuss with my wife. See if she has any questions.

Certainly. You'll still be able to come back and chat with me at no additional charge even after rating. Do what's most convenient, but know that rating won't keep you from continuing our chat.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I found this on Amazon
Zymox Pet Spray with Hydrocortisone, 2-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025YKUIQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_IKKUAbWPEY4ZJWill it help until we can get into the vet?Lastly,
We have two other dogs. Can you answer questions about them?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
what flea/tick meds do you recommends and where we can get it inexpensively

Zymox can be used, yes. You'll want to be sure that you don't use it the morning you intend to see your vet so they can collect an exudate sample for analysis.

I recommend Bravecto which is a 3-month flea/tick preventive. It's pricey but works well. You only give it once every 3 months. You can find it online here: https://discountpetmedication.biz Frontline, Advantix, etc. are also good medications that work well for most pets.

Alas, this discussion only covers Maverick. If you wish to ask questions for the other dogs, they'll need their own individual threads.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok. Thank you so much for the info. I'll be in contact if I have any other questions!

Sure thing!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Oh wait. Can I use zymox with the Neosporin or just use one only until the appointment

You can use both. The zymox will go in the ear itself, introduced into the ear canal. You'll use the Neosporin on the scabs.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Oh. The zymox says it can be used on infections, wounds and cuts. So don't put that on his infected scabs?

It certainly can. Neosporin is more likely to stay on the skin. You won't hurt anything using the zymox on the wounds, should you wish to. I recommend the neosporin since it's an antibiotic. If you wanted to do both, you certainly could.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse