Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog was lethargic over the weekend and had a rest

respiratory rate of 36-40. His...
My dog was lethargic over the weekend and had a rest respiratory rate of 36-40. His breathing went down to 28 as of this morning. I got home from work and took my dog out and he pee’d blood after consuming a lot of water. I then took him for a long walk where I noticed difficulty pooping. Although he did poop several times. It was a soft stool but not diarrhea. My concern however is that he tried to pee multiple times and only drops came out. I couldn’t tell if there was blood in them or not, but concerned that he had the urge to pee, tried, but couldn’t fully relieve himself. What could it be? I read online that the blood I saw could be caused by stress or a UTI.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

N​ormally blood in urine is not caused by stress. It can be caused by a urinary tract infection, a cut on the penis, or bladder stones, or kidney stones. Urinating more frequently and in small amounts would be more indicative of a urinary tract infection.

H​is respiratory rate would be considered in the normal range for an adult dog. So as long as his gums are pink, he is not coughing a lot, there is no wheezing, and he does not seem to be having trouble breathing he sounds stable in terms of respiration.

Thank you for the quick response. I read that it would be okay to give him cranberry juice like we do when humans have a UTI. Is that correct?

A​ vet should check his urine. If he has a urinary tract infection, antibiotics will be prescribed. You do not need to collect a urine sample. The vet will get one. You may need to drop him off at the clinic for a few hours so his bladder can fill up. If there is a lot of blood in the urine then an ultrasound will be done to see if he has bladder stones.

Y​ou are welcome. You would need to use unsweetened cranberry juice. The sugar in the sweetened versions help the bacteria grow. As you probably know, cranberry juice without sugar taste pretty bad.

nutramax crananidin for dogs

I setup an appointment for him to see his primary vet on a Friday. Is that too late, or should I take him to see another Vet sooner?

I​s a product you can try to help prevent further infections. Take him to see another vet sooner. If the infection spreads to his kidneys that is going to be a big deal. Normally a urinary tract infection is just in the bladder and urethra and treated with antibiotics. Once the infection spreads to the kidneys, you are looking at bloodwork and possibly hospitalization.

Oh good point. I didn’t think of that about the sugar. Thank you Dr. Gabby. What’s the nutrimax cranaidin for dogs? An antibiotic that’s recommended my vet prescribe for the UTI?
Ok thank you for the advice. I will try to get an appointment tomorrow then.

I​t is a cranberry extract supplement in capsule form

Y​ou are very welcome. Sounds good.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Hi Chris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby