Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Food recommendation for a 7yr old 4lb Maltese with a

sensitive stomach. She is...
Food recommendation for a 7yr old 4lb Maltese with a sensitive stomach. She is currently on Royal Caniin gastrointestinal formula. The issue with this food is that she is quite the picky eater and if she goes 24hrs without eating it, she gets hypoglycemic seizure due to blood sugar drop. She used to be on a fattier food and didn’t have the issue with her sugar dropping so fast, but the fattier food also frequently gave her upset stomach and diarrhea. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated
3/26/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good evening,Customer Have any diagnostics been performed for the GI upset symptoms you've witnessed on fattier foods?

Have any homemade diets been tried thus far?

Have any medications been tried?

No ma’am; the only thing they’ve tried is to change her food

If you know she has a history of not tolerating fattier foods, she may well have developed a pancreatic condition making it hard for her to digest fats. I would strongly recommend that diagnostics be performed such as bloodwork, a fecal analysis, pancreatic profile, digestion profile, etc. As well, you'll need to keep honey, syrup or similar high-sugar supplement (like nutrical) to keep her blood sugar up when she's not eating.

At home, you can certainly try a low-fat diet option. If she experiences any nausea or vomiting:

the first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

If this food works well for her and you wish to use it long-term, I would recommend a consultation with http://www.balanceit.com to ensure it's nutritionally sound for her needs. They will guide you on supplements to use so that homemade options are safe for her. Moreover, if she's picky, they can also give you instructions on varying the protein sources such as using ground beef, ground turkey, egg, cottage cheese, etc. to give her some variety.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse