Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My rat terrier just ate a capsule of gabapentin scripted for…

My rat terrier just...

My rat terrier just ate a capsule of gabapentin scripted for my St. Bernard. I think it is 300 mg and I do not know what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Chevy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chevy?

She is 10 but doesn’t have any unusual health problems

3/25/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a picture of the prescription label? was it only one pill?

How long ago was this consumed and how much does the rat terrier weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was a capsule, not a tablet.

These are 300mg, as you had said. The top end dosage for a dog her size is about 200mg. So, this will be an overdosage if permitted to digest the capsule. I would recommend that vomiting be induced. It would be ideal to go to your local vet or ER to have this performed, but it can be done at home, as well, using these instructions: https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/03/15/how-and-when-to-induce-vomiting-in-pets.aspx

Give me just a few more moments to type out some additional info for you.

Overdosages on this medication can result in symptoms such as: drunken staggering, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Ideally, vomiting will be induced and you'd leave her at your vet or ER for observation, activated charcoal therapy, etc. If you must watch her at home, induce vomiting and then keep an eye out for the symptoms mentioned above. If they develop, she needs to be seen by a veterinary hospital promptly. If you need help finding a location open now, I'll need your city and state.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try to induce vomiting here first. I live in Firestone, CO.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How will I know if the vomiting got it out of her system?

You should see it present in her vomit if you act fast enough. If not, you may not have confirmation.

All vets in your area are closed until morning. You have one ER vet that I could find and they're in Longmont: http://aspenmeadowvet.com

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I fed her the hydrogen peroxide and my husband is walking her now. If he doesn’t see it in the vomit, what should we be looking for in case it is not out of her system?

I'd recommend she go to the ER for monitoring and symptomatic treatment. Otherwise, the symptoms I mentioned above: "Overdosages on this medication can result in symptoms such as: drunken staggering, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, etc."

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks so much for your help!

Sure thing! Best of luck to you and Chevy.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion today? Have you witnessed a complete resolution of symptoms? Do you have any additional questions you need addressed today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for checking back with me! Chevy is doing fine. We did induce vomiting. We didn’t see the capsule but she didn’t show any signs of an overdose either so it looks like she will be okay.

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse