Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She has a bad ear infection has drainage from her ear I gave…

Customer Question
She has a bad...

She has a bad ear infection has drainage from her ear I gave her a children’s Advil 100 mg and now I’m kind of scared that I did it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

I did contact the vet the emergency services because I had a full bottle of anabiotic your drops here that were for my son and they said I could use the drops but she’s whining and I figured she’s probably in pain so I gave her the Advil

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
3/25/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I'm so sorry to hear about your pet. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
it is fine if you're using the drops at the emergency veterinarian said that it was okay. However I would still take her in and have the ears examined. I understand that you're worried about her being in pain however do not give Advil any more in the future. Ibuprofen and Advil are quite toxic to dogs depending upon the amount that you given the size of the dog. it can be very toxic to the liver kidney even in small amounts. How long ago did you give it?
I apologize that was supposed to say it is fine if you are using the drops that the emergency veterinarian recommended. That is okay
you gave, given the size of the dog....
I apologize for the autocorrect I'm trying to get the information to you quickly
About 30 minutes ago and she is about 65lbs
What about kids chewable Tylenol?
Oh and I gave her a 100mg Advil chewable
I get so nervous about Ibuprofen that I would recommend inducing vomiting. Ibuprofen has a very narrow margin of safety in dogs and can cause many adverse clinical symptoms. You can certainly look up Advil toxicity and dogs. To induce vomiting you give 1 teaspoon per 10 lb so she would get six and a half teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide. You can only redose it one time if she does not vomit. Have you ever given the Ibuprofen before? Tylenol is a better option for dogs however since you gave Advil I would not recommend giving anything at this point even if you induce vomiting.
If you do not feel comfortable inducing vomiting you could always take her to an emergency hospital to have them induce vomiting however it would have to be done relatively soon since 30 minutes has already passed. I am sorry to worry you I am not trying to do so however I have to be honest with you about the side effects of Advil and dogs.
I didn't hear back from you. I hope this information helps and I'm not trying to worry you but I just want you to know that there are possible side effects of giving the Advil. It does not mean that she will have any but I have to be upfront with you. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If you are satisfied with my assistance a five star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****