Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He got into the trash about a week ago. A few days ago, he…

He got into the...

He got into the trash about a week ago. A few days ago, he started throwing up and had diarrhea really bad. The vomiting subsided, but his stools are still runny, he is straining a bit, and there was a tinge of blood in the stool. He also has horrendous gas. He is drinking and eating just fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

The trash was scattered, mainly cat food cans and coffee grounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Gunnar and he is 9 yrs old. Up to date on all shots. He is a black mouth cur

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gunnar?

Gunnar is very anxious and nervous. He needs to be with his pack. Separation anxiety.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has Gunnar had any diagnostics since the onset of the symptoms?

No.
Typing is fine. Gunnar is fine otherwise. Chases the cat. Not lethargic.

Given the fact that symptoms have persisted, I do think it would be wise to have diagnostics performed such as a fecal analysis and blood work. Eating from the trash can have detrimental effects to a dog's health, including a wide range of conditions from colitis to pancreatitis.

Another option you have is trying a bland diet for a few days. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you.