Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Older yorkie former puppy mill rescue just diagnosed with…

Older yorkie former puppy mill...
Older yorkie former puppy mill rescue just diagnosed with enlarged heart/arrythmia. Taking Vetmedin 1.25 twice daily and prednisolone 5 mg twice daily gradually declining dose. Any movement on her part triggers cough and she is flighty and does not sit. Should I kennel her (anxiety trigger) or will the meds start working soon? Been on the vetmedin 2 days and prednisone 1
3/25/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Will you please share video of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Not familiar with doing that on phone. Old woman with new tech. Basically it is a barking cough that only stops when i get her immobile and stroke her to calm down.

When she was diagnosed, what diagnostics were performed? Any chest x-rays?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
thought initially was tracheal collapse because of cough. Heart is so large it is visible through several ribs in photo.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Vet had her for two days monitoring cough and fluid output but commented to me when showing pics how exceptionally large heart was in relation to her size

Did your vet mention anything about her heart disease being congestive? Did they mention any tracheal displacement due to the size of her heart?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
He did not specifically say congestive but did say the heart was beating very weakly at times. He did show me the trachea and said he did not see any indication of tracheal damage

I do think that if these symptoms persist you'd do best with having a visit with a cardiologist so they can perform more advanced diagnostics like cardiac ultrasound. She may need more medications than just the prednisone and vetmedin. Coughing with heart disease is often a sign of congestive heart failure and lasix should be added for those cases. Prednisone can also cause decompensation in heart patients and may not be indicated for her concerns. That said, it's a medication that can help coughing, as well, so it is sometimes used in heart patients anyhow, knowing the risk. Is it possible that with more time the coughing will resolve? Yes. If she's prone to stressing out with kenneling, it would be best to avoid that situation unless she's overall more calm than when she's out of her kennel. If the coughing persists today or worsens, I would see your local veterinary ER to see if she needs lasix added to her medication regimen.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you. My primary concern was moving back to the vet without knowing if I needed to. If the cough persists through today I will take her first thing Monday. Your explanation was very detailed and gives me more to go on. She was rescued from a breeder and then went into an abusive home so she has had her share of bad stuff. I want to bring her back to health. Appreciate your time and concern
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse