Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 7 week old Male great Bernese puppy who’s tummy…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 7 week old Male great Bernese puppy who’s tummy seems to be quite upset tonight. He’s vomited multiple times and it looks like partially digested food and has very minor diarrhea. His gums look fine and he’s not dehydrated but I’m still concerned as to what may have caused this. He’s had nothing unusual to eat and as far as I’m aware hasn’t eaten anything he shouldn’t

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

He’s 7 weeks old he’s had his first round of vaccinations and dewormer and otherwise totally healthy.

3/25/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this :( Diarrhea or vomiting multiple times for a 7 week old can be concerning. It doesn't take too many episodes of vomiting for the electrolytes to get off balance. If the vomiting (or diarrhea) continues any more, I would take him in to be seen by your vet. Since he has had one set of puppy vaccines so far, he is still susceptible to parvo, so you'll want to test for this if it continues. In the mean time you can help him by offering some Pedialyte for hydration, electrolyte balance, and to keep his blood sugar up and some canned pumpkin to help settle his stomach.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I’ve given him a tad of pedialyte just to ensure he doesn’t become dehydrated. If it doesn’t continbue and it merely was something he ate while my back was turned should I go back to his regular feeding regiment or fast him or give him a bland diet. I’ve a dogs all my life but he’s the first puppy I’ve had the privilege of raising and I’m super paranoid.

I would not fast him due to his young age, but a bland diet such as boiled chicken and white rice for the next 24 hours would be a good idea.

Heath Wilkerson

It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson