Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is eating carpet pieces. She started to pass them and…

Customer Question
My dog is eating...

My dog is eating carpet pieces. She started to pass them and there's a string hanging out halfway. She will not eat anything all day today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

It's a long piece of carpet fiber but I don't know how long. There's about 5 in coming out now

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bailey is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?

She is completely healthy otherwise. I'm trying to figure out what caused it, but first I got to get her well right now

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog
3/25/2018
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 26 days ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is important that you NOT pull on any strings that may be hanging out. You should also not allow the dog to pull at them. You need to cut them off as close to the rectum as possible to prevent Bailey from pulling on the strings. The strings should be allowed to exit on their own. They can become wrapped around the bowels and cause serious damage if pulled.

What you do need to worry about is an obstruction. With an obstruction, Bailey will be unable to defecate. She will likely stop eating and start vomiting a substance that frequently smells like fecal matter. Right now it doesn't seem like that is the case yet. HOwever, if she develops more symptoms you will need to have her seen immediately. The longer an obstruction is present, the higher the chance is that the intestines may be permanently damaged. Read more on obstructions here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/

It usually takes 24-48 hours for things to move through a dog's system but continue to monitor her for at least 72 hours or until you no longer see any carpet fibers in her fecal matter.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
We are the pet ER now. Thanks for your quick, thorough response.
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 25 days ago

You are very welcome.

Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 23 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?