Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

We think our dogs may have eaten mouse poison while we were…

We think our dogs...

We think our dogs may have eaten mouse poison while we were gone today. We gave them both some hydrogen peroxide about 30 minutes ago and neither has vomited. Should we give them some more?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

Yes, but we don't know when or how much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No...they are both healthy. Chihuahua is 8 years old and we don't think she got any, but can't be sure. The German Shepherd is 3 years old and seens okay, but is drinking water quite a bit.

3/25/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. If it happened while you were gone then vomiting may not help since it could have already moved out of the stomach and into the small intestines before you got home. The most common type of mouse poison takes about 3-5 days to start showing symptoms in dogs.

If symptoms show up, will treatment from our vet be able to help, or will it be too late by then?

It's actually very easy to treat. In fact if you call your vet tomorrow, he/she may go ahead and prescribe the antidote (vitamin k1) for your pets to take each day for the next 30 days. As long as they are taking this. The poison cannot hurt them. This type of poison stops the blood from being able to clot normally. Most of the time external bleeding is not obvious and you only notice the pet is weak and/or cold. If you look at the gums, they are pale. Sometimes bloody urine or stool is evident or nose bleeds may be seen.

Thank you so much!!

You're welcome! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Heath Wilkerson