Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

7 week old puppy is eating her own poop imidiately after…

Customer Question
7 week old puppy...

7 week old puppy is eating her own poop imidiately after deification. We have only had her a few days. All seems normal except this. We are changing her food over to Merrick Puppy, but we are transitioning slow.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Emme, she is an Airedale Terrier. We also adopted her 5 year old sister.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Emme?

No, she all normal “teeth and energy” except this. I thought it started about 6 to 9 months.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
3/25/2018
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 3 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

This is called Coprophagia. Many dogs eat their own feces. Some eat any feces they find. Cat feces seem to be a favorite. No cause has been determined as to why dogs do this though some believe it may be a dietary deficiency while others believe it to be an obsessive compulsion disorder. Often the behavior is learned from mom as she cleans up the urine and feces in the whelping box.

I see you are switching her to a different food so that may help. Some believe that if a dog is experiencing mal absorption problems the stool will smell like food and thus the dog eats it thinking it is food. As parasites are contracted frequently through feces, your pup should be tested for parasites. Blood tests can be run to rule out a medical cause. The best thing to do is try and curb your pup's tendency to do it.

Number one thing to do is to get the temptation out of the picture by removing feces as soon as possible and keep it cleaned up. You can also put hot sauce or other pepper product on them so the dog finds then terrible tasting. There are over the counter products that you can give your dog daily to prevent this condition. They make the feces taste horrible. They work in some cases and if it works for you, then it’s an easy solution. You can buy them at most pet stores. :

It will be harder to treat if your pup eats it’s own feces right after going. You will need to be with your pup when she is going and divert your pup away from it, praising your pup when she does not try and eat it. A firm “leave it” and correction should be said when she tries to eat it and comes in handy in the future for other items you do not want your dog eating.

You can read more about Coprophagia here.

http://publications.royalcanin.com/renvoie.asp?type=1&cid=126402&id=102470&com=3&animal=0&lang=2&session=1652593

So I would get your pup checked over by your vet and be sure she is dewormed. If everything is fine, you can use the medication on her food such as "forbid" to see if that can stop the problem quickly. It is possible she will grow out of it once she is house trained and not around the fecal matter for more than a minute or two.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!