Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate the legs off one of those toys that expands in…

Customer Question
Hello My dog ate the legs...
Hello
My dog ate the legs off one of those toys that expands in water. The toy expands over the course of a week. What should we do
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
3/24/2018
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 3 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

I am sorry this has happened to your pup.

How much of the toy did he eat?

How much does he weigh?

Is he still eating and drinking?

Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?

It was 4 legs about 1.5in per leg. It was in the last few hours while we were gone. He did eat when we got home and is presenting totally normal .he weighs about 17lbs

If you can get him in for an x ray I would think about doing this. Once the toy hits the stomach it is likely going to expand and cause a blockage.

If you want to take a wait and see approach, I would add some canned pumpkin to the diet, about a 1/2 teaspoon three times a day and see if that help push it out.

IF you notice any lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea or change in stool habits, and lethargy, then see your Vet right away.

Ok it took a week to expand last time so I’m not sure how fast it might go in this stomach. I gave him a little wet food that had pumpkin in it and since he is not use to wet food he did poop a little. What might be warning signs if he is in GI distress?

lack o f appetite diarrhea or vomiting. Very similar to obstruction.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Neiman. How is everything going?

Sally G.