Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My female dog has a rash around her private and i was

Hi! My female dog...

Hi! My female dog has a rash around her private and i was wondering what is could be and what i can put on it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Cookie. Shes 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cookie?

Nope! Just that she keeps licking the area

3/24/2018
Dwight Alleyne

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Are you able to take a picture of the area?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no worries! Its been going on for about a week and has been getting gradually worse because she keeps licking it. Yes i can get a pic

Okay I will look forward to the pic when you get the chance

Okay thanks for the picture. Has she had any issues with urination? It definitely looks like a rash. It could be cause by an allergic reaction to something. Often it is cause by either insect bites or contact with something in the environment like grass . You can try to put some hydrocortisone cream on it but you have to make sure she can't like at the area. So that would require putting on an -ecollar. But the way that it looks she may most likely require an oral antibiotic and possibly an allergy medication to help with the issue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does benedryll work? Are you able to prescribe the oral antibiotics?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She doesnt have issues peeing but when she does pee i notice that she smacks her vagina on the floor or grass completely then pees

Yes you can try Benadryl . You just have to make sure it is plain Benadryl. I can't prescribe any oral antibiotics because by law unfortunately. I can only prescribe drugs to pets I have physically seen in person. Since she is dragging her vagina on the grass she may have developed a sensitivity to the grass now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much benadryll should i give her? Shes a 70 pound pitbull. Should i just stick to hydrocortisone creame or should i use diaper rash cream as well

You can try 50 mg Of plain Benadryl to see if it helps. If you want to help with the itching I would stick to the hydrocortisone cream but you have to put an e-collar on her to prevent her from licking the cream otherwise it may make her sick.

Dwight Alleyne
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Thank you so much for your help and quick responses. i really appreciate it

You are welcome. Have a great weekend

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne