Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My female dog has a rash around her private and i was

Hi! My female dog...

Hi! My female dog has a rash around her private and i was wondering what is could be and what i can put on it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Cookie. Shes 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cookie?

Nope! Just that she keeps licking the area

3/24/2018
Dwight Alleyne

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Are you able to take a picture of the area?

no worries! Its been going on for about a week and has been getting gradually worse because she keeps licking it. Yes i can get a pic

Okay I will look forward to the pic when you get the chance

Okay thanks for the picture. Has she had any issues with urination? It definitely looks like a rash. It could be cause by an allergic reaction to something. Often it is cause by either insect bites or contact with something in the environment like grass . You can try to put some hydrocortisone cream on it but you have to make sure she can't like at the area. So that would require putting on an -ecollar. But the way that it looks she may most likely require an oral antibiotic and possibly an allergy medication to help with the issue

Does benedryll work? Are you able to prescribe the oral antibiotics?
She doesnt have issues peeing but when she does pee i notice that she smacks her vagina on the floor or grass completely then pees

Yes you can try Benadryl . You just have to make sure it is plain Benadryl. I can't prescribe any oral antibiotics because by law unfortunately. I can only prescribe drugs to pets I have physically seen in person. Since she is dragging her vagina on the grass she may have developed a sensitivity to the grass now.

How much benadryll should i give her? Shes a 70 pound pitbull. Should i just stick to hydrocortisone creame or should i use diaper rash cream as well

You can try 50 mg Of plain Benadryl to see if it helps. If you want to help with the itching I would stick to the hydrocortisone cream but you have to put an e-collar on her to prevent her from licking the cream otherwise it may make her sick.

Dwight Alleyne
Okay. Thank you so much for your help and quick responses. i really appreciate it

You are welcome. Have a great weekend

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dwight Alleyne