Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

How should we do in this panting heavily pacing since 3 in…

Customer Question
How long should we...

How long should we do in this panting heavily pacing since 3 in the morning 12 hours

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She's pregnant and we're expecting them anytime she looks like she's in hard labor were concerned of dry birth

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
3/24/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

This is her first time.

"Hard labor" describes your seeing strong and coordinated abdominal contractions. You should see passing of the first pup within 4 hours of labor onset, and she should deliver pups at least every 2 hours thereafter. You ordinarily see passage of a neonate every 30-60 minutes. If "hard labor" has persisted for 12 hours without a pup delivered, dystocia (difficult birth) is diagnosed and she needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. X-rays or, preferably, ultrasound of her genital tract are indicated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

We have not seen any contractions, just restless and panting
But the panting has been 12 hours

That's actually stage I labor and it can last up to 24 hours. The bitch is restless, pants and may vomit. Signs should increase in frequency and severity (as seems to be the case). You can still be patient with her. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Know she has started to cry.

Our messages may have crossed. Please see my last post timestamped 01:00 (my time). If you can't see it, please let me know and I'll repost it.

Thank you. We are just nervous.

I understand how difficult this is for you at this time. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thanks again.

It's my pleasure.