Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Maltese 7yrs old 4.1 pounds. Hypoglycemic issues

3/23/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Sorry to hear about Maya's hypoglycemia. What signs is she having? Has she had lab work done at the vet?

My dog was put on a low fat food for diarrhea issues. Recently she got sick and quit eating and was diagnosed with stomach ulcers. She is currently on sulacarate tablet and cimetidine liquid to treat the ulcers. She is not eating good and has had several hypoglycemic seizures due to the lack of food. I have been giving her nitri cal to up her sugar but is there anything else I can do? Can she have nitri cal every day? Will it get better when her appetite returns? Should I go back to the vet? She has had bloodworm done and it came back good for organ function
work*

Was her blood glucose low? What I mean is, are we sure that her seizures are from low blood sugar?

The vet told me that it was hypoglymic seizure the day of blood work. As far as after that I am unsure. She has never had a seizure before this

Has your vet tried appetite stimulants to get her to eat better? What about anti-nausea medication?

The only thing they have told me to try is the Royal Caniin Gastrointestinal food which is vet low in fat and I was concerned that it might be doing more harm than good

I would let them know she is not eating well and ask about appetite stimulants and anti-nausea medication. Low-fat diets are sometimes recommended if your vet suspects liver problems. I would ask them if that's what they think is going on. You can also buy a glucometer from a human pharmacy to keep track of her blood sugar at home. If your vet is not giving you answers, I would take her to a different vet.

Thank you

You are welcome. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating by clicking the five stars at the top of your screen. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maya. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel