Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I'm going to be flying soon with my service dog. This will…

I'm going to be flying...
I'm going to be flying soon with my service dog. This will be his first time flying. I can't find any flights where the longest leg is shorter than 5 hours. Is this too long? Also, how long of a layover should I plan for? I want enough time for him to go to the bathroom between flights and have a nice walk but I don't want too long because it's already going to be a long day for him.
3/23/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am working on your question now. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Is this a service dog or an ESD?

Has he been trained to go under seats on a plane?

Have you talked to the airline regarding lay overs?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Bailey is a service dog.He does typically go under chairs as a preference when we're out but he's never seen an airline seat. We're going to have 3 seats together in a row for my family so I'm not concerned about him having enough room. He'll most likely put at least part of himself under one of the seats in front of us. He does wear a harness with a high handle (he helps my daughter with balance and mobility) so we might take that off during the flight but he does also have a cape that he wears with it that we can leave on during the flight to clearly identify him as a service dog while allowing him a bit more comfort.I have not talked with the airline about layovers yet. I'm reluctant to book without knowing how long of a layover I should plan for.

Thank you for that information. I might ask for the bulkhead in the plane so there are no seats in front of you and tell them you have a service dog when you call for information and for your actual booking .

The time on the plane should be fine. You will need to talk to the airline and ask about the lay over time as well as if they have a bathroom for the dog inside the airport or outside the air port. Some have both.

Airlines are changing the way they are doing things due to the fake ESD so be sure to ask them what you need to bring with you. I would think the shot records may now be required. Keep them in his pack.

I would think you may need about an hour and a half to safely walk the dog and get from one gate to another, depending on how big the airport is.

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you! I've narrowed down my flight options so I'll call the two airlines regarding their gates at the airports and how far we'll have to go to let him relieve himself. You've been very helpful.

Thank you for the rating! I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant