Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I came home from work and when I opened the door my dog

I came home from...

I came home from work and when I opened the door my dog didn’t greet me. So I walked over to her bed, she got up walked over but she all of s sudden whines and started scurrying backwards and peed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is your dog's name and age?

She’s a small Maltese terrier mix. 3years old. So I wat he’s her for a little bit after the incident and she seemed ok. Took her for a walk and she was walking normal tail up and wagging. She pooped and it looked normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She did this last night when my husband came home too. Scurrying backwards and peed herself and whined.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
When we went for a walk she was normal walking with her tail up wagging. She ate her dinner as well. This started yesterday. I did buy new treats two days ago... not sure if that could have caused anything.
3/23/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Treats aside, have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Does she appear to be fully conscious when the episodes happen?

Any accidents in the home?

Any positioning where she has her back end elevated and front end down?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No changes to diet, or flavors, same brand, name human food, or trash. Did get new treats two days ago. No vomiting or diarrhea. Fully conscious and aware. If she does have accidents it’s because she gets overly excited or very nervous. Her back end was not elevated at all. She scurried backwards almost like she’s getting away from something.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No human food *
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Then a pool of pee leaks out...
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I am home all day tomorrow so I’ll have a better gage as to how she behave since I’ve been at work the last two days.

I do think it would be wise to try to catch these episodes on video if they are repeatable (such as when your husband or yourself return from work or an outing). Quite a few things could be tied in here from partial seizure activity spurred by excitement or signs of an underlying medical problem such as early onset urinary incontinence. We can also see the "backing up" behavior with dogs who are experiencing pain such as in the neck and back, it's just rather uncommon for us to see it only present when excitement occurs and no other type. The whining might be a key detail determining fear and pain associated with such episodes. I would try to keep everything the same tomorrow as it normally is and watch closely. Look for any changes in her fluid and food intake, urinary and fecal output, consistency of her stools, avoiding taking stairs or jumping up/down off of elevated surfaces, pain when walking, etc.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you! I will definitely keep a close watch!

You're welcome. If you do wind up with a video, I'd be happy to take a look on this thread. Just be sure to post back here so you don't get charged again.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I took her to the vet and they took some test which I won’t hear back until later this week. She does have urinary incontinence. I wonder in the mean time after researching online people are mixing apple cider vinegar in their dogs food to help and cranberry juice. I’ve been giving her a pinch of turmeric in with her food. Would you recommend it?

ACV and cranberry juice are typically indicated in a case of UTI. It shouldn't hurt her to use it, but likely won't help with incontinence if she's having an issue with muscle contractility. You should talk to your vet about medication like Proin for this.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok thank you!

You're welcome.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
since I’ve been feeding them blueberries and giving a little bit of cranberry juice, their poop is black... is that normal? I’m still waiting in test. They have not called yet.

It's normal to see some color change in the stool. Black, however, can indicate upper GI bleeding. If this persists, I would discontinue.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse