Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I put my 7 month old corgi in his pen in the bathroom at 4…

I put my 7...

I put my 7 month old corgi in his pen in the bathroom at 4 pm today. My boyfriend got home around 6 and the dog had pulled a bottle of ibuprofen off the counter. The pills were scattered all around but there was no chew marks or anything on any of the pills. We don't know how many were in the bottle or have any way to tell if he ate any. We've been watching him carefully since then. He ate his meal as normal, has gone to the bathroom as normal with no blood in the feces or urine. He's being playful and nothing seems out of the ordinary. No vomit and his gums are a healthy color. We aren't sure what to do because he seems fine and has for the last 5 hours.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Rocky and he's 7 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?

Not that I can think of. He's not on any medications.

3/23/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

my name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

There is not much we can do at home tonight if he did eat any of the Ibuprfen. What we can do is give some Pepcid AC to protect his stomach. If you tell me his weight I will get you the dosage.. You will need to monitor his stools for blood, and watch for vomiting. Watch for tarry stools, pale gums, lethargy,increased urination, abdominal pain and weakness. I suspect he did not eat any because the first signs is usually Vomiting and abdominal pain. This is a sheet on toxicity:

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/ibuprofen/

I will stand by for weight so we can give some Pepcid ac. and I am here for discussion.

Joan

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
He's about 18 pounds

We can give him 1/2 of a 10 mg Pepcid AC. This is just a precautionary measure in case he got a piece of a pill. I do suggest he see the Vet in the morning for some blood work and to be checked to be sure all is ok.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5b stars.

Joan

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
We fully plan on taking him to the vet tomorrow. Even according to the toxicity sheet, he hasn't show any of those symptoms at all. I'm just wondering about how soon on average any of those symptoms would show up? It's been 5 -7 hours and I'm nervous to even let him go to sleep. He sleepa crated right next to me so I would hear him if he was vomiting, whining, etc. but I'm wondering if I should keep him up and watch him or just check in the morning.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I can tell he's sleepy. He's laying next to me on the couch and we usually have him in bed around 10. So I think he's just ready for bed.

Depending on what isingested we can see signs as soon as a couple of hours we see nausea and vomiting starting. Ibuprofen is a Nasiad and stomach irritand and would not take too much to upset his little stomach. He I am sure will wake you up if his stomach is bothering him. I would allos him to sleep. The Pepcid will helpprotect the stomach.

If this was within 2 hours I would have induced vomiting and emptied the stomach.

Joan

Did you have any other concerns I can address? If not please take a moment to rate my service before leaving. (the top of the page 5 stars} I am not compensated by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I'll keep in an eye on him and check in with the vet tomorrow. Thank you!

I have a feeling he did not get any, but I always err on the side of caution. Please let me know how he is doing.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech