Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Scratching and pulling his hair out. Plus he rubs his

Scratching and pulling his...

Scratching and pulling his hair out. Plus he rubs his private across the floor

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Scratching constantly, pulling his hair out and scooting his private across the floor. I changed his food today hoping that will help. He doesn't have fleas. A Naktese

Veterinarian's Assistant: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Lennon. 6 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lennon?

Just these odd habits that he has started. The ones that I wrote to you about

3/23/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is Lennon neutered?
2) Are you seeing the penis being drug across the floor or the anus? If the penis, is he stretching out or focusing on rubbing just the genitals against the floor?
3) Where are you seeing the scratching taking place?
4) Where is the fur being pulled? Is he chewing there and losing hair? If so, can you share pics?
5) What flea medication are you using and when was it last applied? Can you give me some details in to why you believe this isn't a flea-based issue?

Lennon has not been neutered.
He stretches out to rub the penis across the floor.
The scrathing is taking place on the side of his stomach.The biting of his fur and pulling it out is in the arm pits. If his hind legs.The flea medication that I gave to him yesterday is Beavecto. The one that I gave to him about 3 months ago starts with a T. It is for fleas and tape worm. My brother sent it to me because his dog died and he didn't get to use it. it cost about $100.I washed him the other day and no fleas where on him at sll.

If he's not been neutered and he's stretching out to rub his genitals on the carpet, this sounds like it's likely masturbatory. He might also be so intensely itchy that this feels good and might be mistaken for inappropriate behavior.

The description you've given sounds more like allergies. Have any medications been tried for the itchiness thus far? If so, has anything not worked?

I haven't tried any medicines for itching. I don't know what to use.

I wanted to be sure before I potentially recommended something that had been tried but failed. I would recommend trying Zyrtec (OTC human antihistamine available in most human pharmacies). The dosing is based on weight: https://dogappy.com/antihistamine-for-dogs You may need to use this for 3-5 days to see the most benefit. If this does not help, a vet visit would be recommended to try other therapies like steroids, atopica, cytopoint, apoquel, etc. You may also want to avoid allowing him to spend a lot of time coming in contact with allergens like grasses and flowers, in case he likes to roll around outside. If he tends to be itchy in these areas following contact, you can bathe his undercarriage with a stripping soap like dawn and tepid water. Make sure to dry him well so that he doesn't develop moist dermatitis in these areas following a bath.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you very much!!

Sure thing. Best of luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse