Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She seems to wanting to lay down a lot more today and a bit…

Customer Question
She seems to b...

She seems to b wanting to lay down a lot more today and a bit of yesterday. She hasn’t touched her food nor treats. She isn’t very energetic like she normally is. She is a pit lab so she is pretty hyper. We didn’t see her eat anything abnormal so we don’t know what’s going on and worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She just got ur updated shots on the 12th but that’s about it. She is almost 2 years old I believe so she is young.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
3/22/2018
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 6 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Thank you for using this site to help you.

Have you taken her temperature?

What color are her gums?

Does she eat anything like rawhides, bones, other non food type items?

Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?

Does she eat human food and if so what?

Could she have gotten into any garbage?

Did not take her temp before I left for work. Her gums seemed pink when I checked this morning but I wasn’t sure if they looked pink enough but seemed like it from pics I have seen and normal for her. She gets real bones from the pet store but hasn’t had one for a few weeks. Vomit just little water last night. Human food not for 3 days. Daughter likes to give pop tarts. Garbage was untouched. We keep in on the washer when it gets to full she could get into it

Thank you for that information. What I would be concerned about is the bones from the pet store as they have been known to cause problems. Over time , they seem to create a sawdust type filling that lays in the stomach and sometimes causes an obstruction. However another problem with bones is that they can be broken into sharp pieces that pierce the stomach or intestinal lining.

I would keep an eye on her vital signs . fast her for 24 hours and then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice . If she does not eat that then I would make an appointment for your Vet.

sometimes dogs do get viruses that knock them out for a day or two, but something longer than that of not eating is a sign of real illness.

I am going to direct you to a link on taking the vital signs. Gum color, temperature and capillary refill is very important to watch.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You can request me at this link in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/

What is Normal in dogs taking the vital signs

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Here's a warning on bone treats https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-bone-treats-causing-dog-deaths-and-illnesses/

I don’t think it’s a bone thing cause she never gets small bones. She gets large ones and she just went to the vet early this month and hasn’t had a bone since. She vitals seem all normal also. She gums are fine and heart rate and breathing fine also. She just doesn’t want to eat anything food wise at all and just wants to lay down and get close. It’s just very very unlike her cause she doesn’t even want to play. It has been this way going almost 24 hours also.

It is the large bones I am talking about, when chewed over time each one leaves deposits in the pit of the stomach, like a saw dust pile up.

You can give it another 12 to 24 hours, if it is a virus then she should feel better by then. If drinking is an issue I might try giving ice cubes for hydration.