Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog had a toe amputated a few years ago and now it seem…

My dog had a...

My dog had a toe amputated a few years ago and now it seem like there is a internal swelling happening where the toe use to be.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Max and he is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?

He is a Goldendoodle who lives in the Cayman Islands.

I took Max to the vet already and they gave me a special shampoo to kill the small sign of yeast infection and a cream help reduce the inflammation has developed in between his toes. I’ve been using his products for about a week and a half but feel like the swelling has gotten bigger. I live in the Cayman Islands and we only have two vets here which I don’t have much convindence in there judgement. Can you suggest what I should get done next?
Just so you know I put a new sock on his foot every day to prevent him from licking the sore area.
I make sure that the sock is clean and dry at all times of course. Plus it’s 100% cotton so his foot can breathe. When I’m able to watch him I take off the sock to give him a break.
I usually take him to the beach one or twice a week but lately I’ve been trying to keep him from not running to much to avoid even more irritation but he’s bit of a hyper dog. I don’t know if I can keep this up much longer. I can see in his face that he’s bored and becoming depressed from sitting around too much.
3/22/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. Can you tell me more about why the toe was originally amputated?

He fractured his nail and his toe got infected. Being that his fur is so long I didn’t notice it until he was limping one day. By that time the infection was too severe and the vet recommended amputation. This happened about 3 to 4 years ago. Once everything was healed up I would take him running and swimming. He showed no discomfort until a few weeks ago when he started shifting his weight off the foot that’s missing the toe. When I separated his toes I noticed a lump and it looked red and irritated. When I took him to the vet they told me about the yeast and how I should apply the shampoo wait 10 minutes then wash it off three times a week after that apply the cream. It’s been two weeks now I’ve been doing this but it looks like the lump is getting bigger. The dog isn’t showing as much discomfort but I’m trying not to allow him to run until the swelling goes down.

Thank you for the additional information.

Have the vets tried a course of antibiotics yet, for good measure?

Any x-rays of the paw?

No not as yet.

I don't think what your vets have recommended is wrong, but if you aren't seeing improvement it's time for a recheck and another treatment. I would consider x-rays and, if normal, going with a course of antibiotics for 7-14 days. If this is an infection, it should resolve. The next step following that would be to consider exploration/biopsy under sedation to rule out the potential of a tumor or foreign material in the area causing the swelling.

Ok. Being that the toe is miss does this cause deformation inside the foot over time which could result in a strain and swelling?

It depends on what part was removed. If only the externally visible portion of the toe was removed (the phalange) the rest of the food should compromise for the missing toe. Dogs are born with far worse (or have much less following surgery) and don't suffer the same symptoms your companion is suffering. So, no, this is not normal and the removal of the infected part of the toe was the most ideal situation.

Ok. Thank you.

You're welcome. Good luck!

I have an appointment tomorrow. Can I update of our decision?

Absolutely.

Thanks for all your support.

You're welcome.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse