Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Sneezing, diarrhea, really tired. Macy. She is 9 years old.

Sneezing, diarrhea, really tired ...

Sneezing, diarrhea, really tired

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Macy. She is 9 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Macy?

9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Macy?

She was just in a boarding kennel from March 8th through the 16th

3/22/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is still sneezing constantly. I went and purchased some science diet sensitive stomach food and that seems to have stayed down without vomiting or diarrhea. She is just very lazy which is unlike her. She has had diarrhea since we got home on Friday tge 16th. We were feeding her white rice which would stop the diarrhea but as soon as we have her the dog food she would get it again. She had a hard time at the kennel, she wouldn’t eat, so they were feeding her scrambled eggs. She is very skinny from that.

Do you know what diet they fed her at the kennel aside from the scrambled eggs? Did you supply her own?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Any coughing?

Have you witnessed vomiting in addition to the diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We sent her with her own food which was purina pro plan but it sounds like she didn’t eat it the whole time she was there, she only ate the scrambled eggs that they fed her one time a day. They didn’t allow any toys or treats or anything like that at the kennel and there has been nothing new at home. She has not gotten into any trash, and she has vomited but only two times and that was on Sunday. It has been mainly the diarrhea after every meal And the sneezing. I haven’t really noticed any coughing

It might be a consideration to have someone sit her in your home in the future vs. boarding her. It sounds like she's prone to stress. Stressful conditions can lead to stress colitis and conditions like pancreatitis, as well, which can directly have a reflection on their desire to eat and drink, can cause vomiting and diarrhea, as well as lethargy, discomfort in the abdomen, etc. I do think it would be wise to have her examined and treated by your vet but, failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home. If she worsens or does not improve, I would have her seen and permit them to do a full exam with bloodwork (including a pancreatic profile), fecal analysis and x-rays, if indicated.

To help with the sneezing, you can try antihistamines. She can take 1-2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl every 8-12 hours. if this is due to allergies, you should see a prompt response with improvement to complete resolution of symptoms. Keep an ear out for coughing. Dogs will occasionally (even when vaccinated) pick up kennel cough in boarding situations. Sneezing can be one of the first symptoms, which may progress as the days follow in to a goose-like honking cough. If this is seen, she does need to see your vet. This could also be tied in to her symptoms of lethargy, as well.

I would also recommend trying a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.] You'll want to use either the sensitive stomach diet or a bland diet like Hill's I/D, W/D or boiled rice and chicken for her. After the resolution of her symptoms, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much!

Sure thing. Good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
She is feeling much better. The diarrhea has stopped and she is still eating the sensitive stomach food but seems to really like it.

Excellent news. Thanks for the update.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse