Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog got hurt in a fight I wanted to know how to best care…

Customer Question
My dog got hurt...

My dog got hurt in a fight I wanted to know how to best care for her scratches

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your dog's name and age?

Nefertiti and she’s 6 months old

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
3/21/2018
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+years,

If what you are seeing are only scratches and not Lacerations which are deep, you can trim the hair away from the area, then you can clean the scratches with Betadine diluted in water to a dark tea color and clean well. Once the Scratches are cleaned you can apply some plain Neosporin/triple Antibiotic ointment,. Both the Betadine and the Neosporin can be found where first aid suupplies are sold, I suggest cleaning with the Betadine and applying the neosporin 3-4 times a day. If there are lacerations or puncture wounds, those will need to be addressed by your Vet, because those can easily become infected and an Antibiotic and possible suturing may be needed.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars before leaving the site.

Joan

My dog is coughing blood after the attack there’s a snow storm here so I can’t tale her to the vet what should I do

Sorry lost power and just got it back With her coughing blood she may have some internal injuries and all you can do is keep the dog subdues for now and as calm as possible. There is nothing we can give at home and we do not know exactl poing of where the bleeding is coming from. I would keep the dog warm and calm tonight and as soon as safe get in to the ER Vet or in the morning see your regular Vet,

Joan

Checking in on your dog. Want to see if you found the information I supplied was helpful.

Joan