Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 5 year old pittie mix who has had a skin tag on his…

Good afternoonI have a 5...
Good afternoonI have a 5 year old pittie mix who has had a skin tag on his left hind leg for a few months. We read online that you can "tie off" these growths with small string. We did that a few days ago and it didn't seem to bother him at all. Still today it seems to only be bothering him minorly (he licks it occasionally but we can touch it with no problem., he isn't acting up and doesn't seem upset). However it has gotten bigger and discolored, can you take a look and let me know if this is concerning? Thanks!
3/21/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

First things first, whatever website recommended the tie-off procedure is absolutely wrong. This is one sure-fire way to cause an issue with circulation and potentially also infection. The reason you're seeing an increase in size is due to blood being able to come in to the area, stagnate and clot. This is also why you're seeing discoloration. The more effective and ideal procedure, which does not risk trauma, infection or worsening of symptoms, is to have the area examined by your vet and removed. If this was small to begin with, your vet may well have been able to remove it with a local anesthetic while he was awake and utilize proper cautery. That doesn't appear possible now due to the increase in size. I anticipate that it not only needs to be examined but will likely need to have surgical removal under general anesthesia. I would also recommend pathology to be sure this is not cancerous (it's hard to tell since I only have this picture to go off of). For now, definitely remove the string as it's only complicating matters, then have your vet see him ASAP.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.We are under a snow emergency right now in Philadelphia, is it safe to wait a few days to get him to the vet? We removed the tie and have cleaned the area with soap, water and antibiotic lotion

I would think so, yes. If it changes in the days to come, let me know and include some additional pictures. I'll guide you from there. Hopefully it will remain stable and not worsen.

Thank you for your help, we feel awful :-( never wanted to hurt him only to help. He is licking it but we're keeping it clean since it's open a little. But he's acting and eating fine so I think he should be okay

I would try to keep him from licking it, that's going to encourage infection. Try an e-collar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse