Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Has been vomiting gras and bile for 3 days aprox. Last night…

Has been vomiting gras...

Has been vomiting gras and bile for 3 days aprox. Last night he wouldn't eat his dinner and was farily lethargic ( still drinking water though) We took him to emergency vet here in town and took 3 view xrays and saw something "suspicious" in his stomach. He said he couldn't tell for sure what it was becuase the density of the object was about the same as the surrounding tissue. He said it looks suspicious but on an oblique view really didn't show much more than the lateral view. Very non discriminate. He was given an anti nausea injection and a pepcid injection and sent on our way if hes not better in a few days we plan to pursue ultrasound. He went outside with our other dog twice last night and urinated and had diahrrea both times ( It was dark but I could hear it). Any suggestions? 4.5 year old boxer and we have no idea what he got into. Possibly a silicone baby bib? not sure if the sick boxer or the other one was responsible for that

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He slept fine, is not acting like he is in pain, just not interested in food at all

3/21/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

There are far too many things that a dog could ingest to even begin to guess at the nondescript views on x-ray. Silicone bibs could do it, for sure, as well as any type of fabric from panties to baby socks, paper items, chew toys, etc.

if he's not already on a bland diet, I'd suggest this as it may help with the vomiting, diarrhea and help to move through the ingested item, as well. If your vet didn't already mention it, do NOT pull anything from the back end of a dog should something be partially present outside the dog. Trim near the anus with scissors and allow the body to produce it naturally.

To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any suggestions if he is not interested in eating? Try to just push fluids?

Fluids are more important right now than anything as dehydration is a major factor. SQ fluids would also be wise if he's losing fluid from either end. I would also talk to your vet about oral cerenia, if this was not prescribed. The injectable medications being given typically only work 6-12 hours, cerenia works for 24 hours. If there is something in the stomach, he may absolutely refuse to eat and your vet my want to perform the ultrasound or even a barium series to try to determine what is in the intestines.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse