Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I just taken my 12 year bordeaux collie for a walk and she…

I just taken my...

I just taken my 12 year bordeaux collie for a walk and she was a bit unsteady on her back and front legs for the first time. She was checked out when she had her booster and the vet said she is in good health but need to loose a bit of weight

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Just was a bit unteady on her legs for the first time

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She is not winging and no signs her her being in pain?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Lexi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lexi?

No idea. They gave her a booster last month and said that she is in good health

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
No further info
3/21/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of what you're seeing?

Is she on any medication at this time?

When was her last examination?

Hi

I noticed that my dog's back legs collapsed when she climbed up to drink water from the bathroom sink. This is the first time this has happened

Is she on any medication at this time?

When was her last examination?

My dog had a booster last month and the vet said she is in good health...

She is on no medication

Your vet's diagnosis of good health is based on what they can see externally. At 12 years of age, however, it would not be uncommon to expect arthritis as she's well in to her senior years.

If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also recommend talking to your vet about diagnostics like x-rays to confirm the presence of arthritis and then using canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

My dog had a booster last month and the vet said she is in good health

She is on no medication

Were you able to see my reply above, Elaine?

Did it come through?