Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

For the past two nights my dog starts panting hard and

Goodevening, for the past...

Goodevening, for the past two nights my dog starts panting hard and throws up about 4 times. The throw up starts off as his meal (yellow, kibble is expanded) and ends with foam. He eats the next day. One side of his ribs towards the back part does seem like it’s sticking out more than the other. Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No; we did start him on a pill for arthritis yesterday (when this started) but he’s had the pill before and was fine. We gave him the pill again this AM with antacid (or pepto I would have to ask my husband) and he was fine all day until tonight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Magic and 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Magic?

He takes thyroid medicine

3/21/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Magic has been throwing up at night. I wonder if he is have some acid reflux. You mentioned that you gave him an antacid, which I think is a good idea. I would try giving him some Pepcid to see if that helps. About how much does he weigh?

He weighs about 100lbs

Okay, you can give him 1.5 tablets of 40 mg Pepcid every 12 hours. Other causes of vomiting other than acid reflux include a foreign body causing an intestinal blockage, kidney and liver disease, and pancreatitis, to name a few. If the Pepcid does not help, I recommend getting him in for some blood work to investigate what might be going on.

Does the rib cage sticking out immediately conern you?
Just trying to decide if this is something that can wait until the morning to deal with.

I am not immediately concerned about that if he is breathing normally. I do think you can wait until the morning.

HEs breathing hard (panting like crazy) and his vomit is mucusy

Any kind of respiratory trouble is concerning. It may or may not be related to the vomiting. Since he is panting, the safest thing would be to get him to the ER for chest x-rays and oxygen therapy if they determine it is required.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian