Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He had an injury years ago in his back legs/hips. He

He had an injury...

He had an injury years ago in his back legs/hips. He occasionally has a flare up of pain where he looks very uncomfortable. I am out of his rx pain medicine but I’m reading that dogs can take human rx etodolac.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Coco 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

No. He’s very healthy besides this occasional flare up.

3/21/2018
Sheree HughesIrwin

Hello, Dr Sheree here to help.

Can you tell me what drug Rx CoCo is taking and his weight?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s not taking anything
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He weighs 17 lbs

You mentioned an Rx? Weight is needed to give you how much of the etodolac you can give him.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He previously had a pain rx from the vet. I can’t recall the name now.

Sorry just saw your answer...give me a moment.....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problem!

What is the size of tablet you have available?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Etodolac 500 mg

It will be very hard to use because of such high mg. Coco can only take 75 to 100 mg of etodolac ONCE a day given with food. If you give for any length of time, CoCo may have side effects which include vomiting, diarrhea, and liver problems. Short term for a week probably won't be a big problem. Most veterinarians like to monitor blood values to make sure the liver is not harmed.

In other words the tablet will have to be divided into 5 pieces.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also saw a few other medications that I have a human rx for. Can you tell me what dosage he could take if the human rx is ok for dogs?

meloxicam, aspirin buffered

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 15 mg meloxicam available

Let me get a dosage.....

A 15 mg tablet for a 17 pound dog.....only 1/10th of a tablet! I guess humans are bigger animals!

Do you have any syringes like a 10 cc size? You could dissolve 1 tablet in 10 cc and give 1 cc of fluid mixture in food.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do! I could do that!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We’ll try that and maybe he’ll get some relief tonight! Thanks so much!

Mix the tablet in like 5 cc of water until it is completely dissolved then add some karosyrup and fill to 10 cc mark....then it will taste good too! Be sure and give with food and only ONCE daily. Be sure and watch for side effects and try not to use long term.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do!

Good Luck!

Sheree HughesIrwin
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much!
Sheree HughesIrwin
Sheree HughesIrwin
Sheree HughesIrwin