Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 17 lb dog ate 2 - 200 mg tab of ibuprofen 2 days ago he…

My 17 lb dog...

My 17 lb dog ate 2 - 200 mg tab of ibuprofen 2 days ago he was treated at the vet yesterday following a night of throwing up. The doctor did blood tests, said his kidneys were somewhat effective and gave him fluids and 2 types of medication for stomach upset and ulcers. He is still not eating his dog food but will eat his treats and drink water, he is urinating fine and passing stool but he did throw up a quarter side slimy substance today with blood in it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Benjis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Benjis?

Not that I am aware of but he is 12 years old but the vet is aware of that

3/20/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would recommend the following for the vomiting while he recovers from eating the Ibuprofen.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't doing the job. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian