Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My Catahoula puppy has some red bumps on his mouth and this…

My Catahoula puppy has some...
My Catahoula puppy has some red bumps on his mouth and this is my first puppy so I don’t know what they are. He is 7 weeks old and his name is ***** ***** added a picture of what they look like.
3/20/2018
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Sinbad today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you. I am typing a reply currently. Please give me a few minutes.

Based on the attached image, it looks like Sinbad may be experiencing a folliculitis, which is an infection of the hair follicles on his chin. It is not uncommon to see a skin infection in puppies as their immune system is not fully mature yet and they may have a hard time keeping the normal bacteria on their skin in check. One other concern however in puppies is the possibility of mange mites being involved in the infection. Demodex (demodectic mange) is not uncommon in puppies and these mites like to live in the hair follicles, especially on the face. Here is a link with more information about these mites. LINK HERE

I would definitely recommend that you have Sinbad evaluated by your vet and have a skin scraping test performed to rule out mange mites.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

Thank you for helping me! I really appreciate it. I’ve never had a puppy before so I’m new!

You are welcome. Enjoy your new friend!