Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

What isn't? He is on phenobarbital. He was taking 1/2 pill…

What isn't? He...

What isn't? He is on phenobarbital. He was taking 1/2 pill twice daily. This past weekend he had three grand Mal seizures while on the meds. They upped it to 3/4 of a pill 2x per day. He is panting a lot now and keeps acting like he needs something, but he has been outside just within the half hour, its not time for food, he has water, etc.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Riley and 12 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Riley?

He has had an ear infection for months, they have given three rounds of meds (now 4)...they packed it in his ear. He also is, as of yesterday on meds for arthritis. I am not sure that is what it is....his legs will just give out when he walks and sometimes when goes on a longer walk he limps afterward

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just want a second opinion. I feel like we should be starting to consider this is the beginning of the end. He has accidents a lot now and I have been to the vet 6+ times since the end of Sept and spent over $1100. That seems excessive to me.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I love my dog and I want to do what is best for him, but I can't continue to spend this kind of money every few months and I can't spend every day picking up after him and taking him out every two hours. I have two school aged kids. Their dad and I divorced in Oct last year and I moved (with Riley) out of the home and I think that caused him a lot of stress, but it has been 5-6 months now.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.. I am sorry Riley is having these problems.

I understand he is going through a lot of issues and you are considering when it is time to euthanize him. I know this is a tough decision for any owner.

I look at certaian signs that let me know when it is time and the biggest is quality of life. Is Riley able to enjoy his life pain free is a question I would ask. Being epileptic does rob a good portion of the quality of life. Arthritis is another issue you mentioned which also make it hard to get around. The chronic ear infections compound the issue with pain as well as it can affect the equilibrium. THe accidents are hard on him as well as the family. Making this decision is not an easy one, but I agree the quality of life is fading and his time is drawing near. I cannot tell you when, but you will know when you feel it is time since you can jude based on the points I made.

Please hit reply to discuss thi information.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi, I'm sorry, I thought I had asked another question earlier in the week, but it appears it didn't send. How do I know if he is in pain or not? He doesn't whimper or anything, but even after surgeries he didn't. He just seemed more lethargic than normal. Are there other signs to look for? Thanks!

Pain is sometimes had to tell if the dog is stoic. I look fo teeth grinding, the extreme of not sleeping to sleeping too much, not wanting to eat and shaking can all indicate pain as well as the obvious whining and crying. Someties we have to guess becuase we know when our friend is just not normal.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech