Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog weighs about 14kg and was given a comfortis tablet…

My dog weighs about...

My dog weighs about 14kg and was given a comfortis tablet for our bigger dog which was for a 27 to 54 kg she has vomited and isn’t her normal self

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No just the wrong dose tablet

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Roxy

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Roxy?

15 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?

She just seems to be feeling sorry for herself

3/20/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thankfully, while vomiting is the most common adverse effect from the administration of spinosad (Comfortis), it appears to be well-tolerated in dogs and acute overdoses are relatively innocuous. In a dose tolerance study, 16.7X the rcommended dose was given and only vomiting arose. No significant changes in hematology, blood coagulation, or urinalysis parameters were noted. Roxy will remain safe. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. I would expect her normalizing within 36 hours of her being given that larger tablet. I would fast her for 12 hours following her last vomiting episode in order to give her stomach a rest. If drinking induces more vomiting, please replace her water with ice cubes for her to lick. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you so much for your help, my dog has come good now and is doing great.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.