Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I adopted a 8 year old pit mix ....he has been fine so far…

I adopted a 8...

I adopted a 8 year old pit mix ....he has been fine so far until Saturday. He has diarrhea. He is eating and drinking water seems fine. But diarrhea is bad

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the pit?

He seems fine other than this explosive diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the pit seem to hurt?

He doesn't seem to be in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the pit's name and age?

Roscoe. He is 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roscoe?

I got him from an acquaintance. Not sure of vaccinations of any previous history

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is doing ok. He is eating chicken and rice this morning. Diarrhea seems to have slowed down a little but is still very wet...brown color. A little thicker than gravy.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is drinking plenty of water and seems to be fine other than this explosive diarrhea

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Any vomiting noted?

How is he eating currently?

Is he on any medication right now?

Any idea when he was last dewormed?

He's 8 years, correct? Not 8 months?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He's 8 years . Not sure of any vaccinations he may have had. He has vomited a few times. He vomits water . Yes I feed my stray cats whatever leftovers are in the fridge. Im thinking he may have gotten his share.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No medication. He is on chicken and rice with pedigree on normal days.....as of right now its chicken and rice

Any diet changes could certainly be the cause of the symptoms you're seeing, especially in an aging individual who has reached his early senior years.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. If you need help finding a location that can see your pet (even just to keep on hand), I can help. I’ll need you to provide your location as the website does not give us this.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I would also strongly recommend that Roscoe have his annual care updated by a veterinarian in your area. If he feels poorly, he is going to need to hold off on vaccines but a fecal analysis would be worthwhile to ensure that his symptoms aren't due to parasites. What's more, if you own him and don't have him updated on his vaccines, many states have regulations in place where you can be fined for not keeping his vaccines up to date.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will get on this immediately. Also if he is not feeling well by the morning I will take him in to get seen.
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse