Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Well, he ate klonopin about 3 hours ago. It was 2mg and I…

Well, he ate klonopin...

Well, he ate klonopin about 3 hours ago. It was 2mg and I don’t know how many. I got him to vomit. 2 Lindor truffle wrappers came up too. We were in our tornado shelter. It took him about an hour to hour and half to vomit. He wasn’t doing well but after vomiting wandered around and wagged tail, acted crazy trying to scratch at pantry and chasing cats but stumbling. Now he’s in bed and seems to be sleeping. I wondering if it’s going to be okay or if I need to take him to emergency vet now that storm has passed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

22-24lb dachshund age 4.

I would have taken him immediately but we were in the middle of a tornado warning and I am in a wheelchair with a broken leg. Trees and power lines down in places. I’m still baffled how he got to it. I can wake someone to try to get here if absolutely necessary.
3/20/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. We do use Knonopin in dogs which is good news. You did well getting him to vomit. The dose for dogs on the high side is .25mg per pound of body weight which mean he could have consumed up to 6 mgs. We use it foror Anxiety and he seems to have taken it at a good time considering you were in the middle of a tornado. The only thing that would concern me is if he took over the dosage. Having him Vomit may have prevented absorbsion.

There are signs of an Over dose:

Weakness Very slow breathing Vomiting Confusion Disorientation Lack of coordination Decrease in body temperature Decrease in blood pressure Relaxed muscles Tachycardia Arrhythmia
If he is sleeping normally I suspect with the vomiting you got most of it up. If you do take him to an ER Vet tonight, they would administer activated charcoal and monitor.

Please hit reply and for discussion.

Joan

Thank you Joan. He is somewhat wobbly and acts “intoxicated” (when he was up). Now he seems to be sleeping. He usually goes to bed early. The most he could have had would be about 4 2mg. That would be on the high side. He also seems to be breathing a little fast and belly breathing. Not real fast but excited fast. He’s not hiding anymore and in dog bed. Is there a way to see if blood pressure is low?

A vet would have to test the BP, It is a matter of monitoring him. If the most he ate was 4mg, he is still within a dose for his size. I HATE to send you to an ER and they send you home, but my big fact is to know he did not have any more than 6mg. The hyperactivetity could have been from the Lindor truffels. Since they had a high concentration of chocolate. I will leave it up to you on whether you feel he is sleeping normally and all seems good.

Joan

Thank you. It was possibly 8mg total.

That is an Over dose. I am hoping te fact that the Vomiting brought up some to lessen the dosage.

If you feel comfortable monitor the rest of the night and see the Vet first thing in the morning. What they would do is a charcoal lavage and monitor at the clinic or supportive if needed.

Joan

I see. Do you happen to know how long it takes to wear off or the half life? It would have been 4.5 - 5 hours now.
Oh! He just got up and walked slow and is drinking some water now.

The half life is dose dependent at 1.4 +/- 0.3 hr. Over the dose range from 0.1 to 0.5 mg/kg the elimination rate . By morning he shuold be coming out of it if I figure correctly.

I am sure it will take a while for it to completely wear off. I am glad he awakened and got a drink. That is good.

Is there any other questions I can answer for you? If not would you please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars before leaving the site tonight.

Joan

I really appreciate it. I’m going to watch him. Glad he’s drinking. He’s not falling anymore. Thanks again.

You are welcome! Tell him no more non food items. Please do not forget to click 5 stars at the top of the page.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
He is doing well and back to normal the next day! Thank goodness.

Glad to hear all is well! Joan