Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She ate a 1. oz of chocolate m a& m’s. She is a 7lb daschund…

She ate a 1.69...

She ate a 1.69 oz of chocolate m a& m’s. She is a 7lb daschund yorkie mix. I have her some peroxide to throw it up but she didn’t vomit

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 4 months old

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Thank you

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Reese very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her. She may perhaps suffer a mild transient tummy upset, but I would not expect worse than that, and even that may not occur. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate such as M&Ms mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Reese's weight as being in the region of 7 pounds then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 4.9 ounces of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly, the amount of chocolate involved today { 1.69 ounces } was very minimal by comparison, so no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes.

I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Reese's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you so much! I appreciate your quick response

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I will:)

.

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?