Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She is producing milk and has a bag with a swollen vulva and…

Customer Question
She is producing milk...

She is producing milk and has a bag with a swollen vulva and somewhat of a small belly on her but shes 7 yrs old and never had puppies before. not sure if she is truly pregnant or if labor is fast approaching

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

She is 45lbs catahoula cur dog. has had history of false pregnancies but never produced milk before. she vomitted today and now has clear milky thick hanging discharge

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
3/19/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When was her last heat?

Was she bred at that time?

Can you share pics of what you're seeing?

about a month and half ago estimate. she got out of our yard and was missing for the night. Im assuming she was bred bc we had 2 male dogs coming around the night she got out. her vulva just released a string hanging down of a milky discharge. she has been trying to nest in my closet for 2 weeks and is very clingy. she refuses to stay outside after letting her potty she goes does her business and comes crying in a anxious high pitch at the door once she is finished pottying.

So, it's possible that she was bred. Can you share pics of what you're seeing?

everytime i tried to upload a pic your page froze up
she has a egg white string hanging from her vulva she has just cleaned herself so its no longer there. but her teets are producing milk

It will be very difficult to know if this is a false pregnancy without diagnostics. False pregnancies can cause a dog to produce milk. Discharge from the vulva can also be a sign of impending delivery or even uterine infection (though this is less common with false pregnancies). Without pictures, it'll be difficult for me to give you my opinion on whether or not she's pregnant. If she's gained a great deal of weight, this is a strong indicator. I don't think it would be wrong to consider diagnostics like x-rays (to know if she's pregnant and, if so, a puppy count) and bloodwork at this point. That said, if this is not an option, she needs to be placed in a calm place away from other animals and people, with low lighting, at a temp of roughly 70-75 degrees. You can use a child's plastic swimming pool to allow her to welp her pups, which may present in the next 12+ hours given her current symptoms.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your girl doing today? There's no charge for sending an update on her condition or asking any additional same-topic questions in regards ***** ***** care.