Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My five-year-old havachon is extremely aggressive to her…

My five-year-old havachon is extremely...
My five-year-old havachon is extremely aggressive to her litter sister. This has been going on for nearly 2 years. We have tried a shock collar, and other methods of discipline recommended by our vet. Nothing stops the behavior. The fights are getting more extreme with lots of puncture wounds to each dog, and one to me that resulted in stitches in the emergency room. What would you recommend?
3/19/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am working on your question now. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Are the dogs spayed?

What type of training do you do and how often?

What commands do they know listen to 100% of the time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Both dogs are spayed, they are five years old. The aggressive dog has been through two courses of dog training, and is a very outgoing dog. Her sister has had no training because she is very shy and generally quite submissive and afraid of new situations. Both dogs know basic commands, such as calm, sit, stay, down, and treats.

Thank you for that information. Usually it is harder to get two females to live in peace then two males or male and female. One female tends to want to be the top dog.

one more question. If the aggressor dog has something of value, food, bone , toy etc. can the other dog take it from her?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the shy dog has a very good ability to sneak away her sisters bones or treats. This is the only time that I have seen the shy one be aggressive in defending her accomplishment! I also note that the aggressive dog has been seen by her vet for generally odd behaviors, such as shivering for no apparent reason, and putting herself in what appears to be a timeout, a game for no clear reason. The vet suggested that she might just be psychotic. Is that possible? If so, what’s the appropriate approach? Thank you!

There may be some alpha aggression and possession aggression going on and it is then up to the owner to try and change that. I would put the more aggressive one on the learn to earn program and I would be training her daily in several commands. This is so she sees you differently, not to teach her what she already knows. When she has to perform for you each time she wants something , she sees you as a more prominent leader

I would also not use a shock collar as dogs that are aggressive become more aggressive with this

I would do positive reinforcement training with each good behavior so that emerges and takes the place of the bad behavior. Clicker training works well for this.

I would teach or reinforce the leave it command so you can have her stop an attack before it happens.

After that I would make sure there is a firm recall or a firm go to your bed command in place.

I would not give her a full meal in a bowl , but rather use that food to train her during the day. Again this is to further your status.

When you are not home keep them separate. When you are home, keep a lead on her so you can grab it and prevent a fight.

I am going to direct you to a link for clicker training and in there is a leave it cue.

The more you can catch her in doing something good near the other dog where she is rewarded for that, the more that behavior will emerge.

I am also going to direct you to a link on the learn to earn so you can go over that.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Dr sophia yin learn to earn https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/the-learn-to-earn-program/

when possible , put both dogs on leash and start working on behavior adjustment training (BAT).

I would make sure when starting this that there are no possessions around, that they are just at this time learning how to be around each other.

Here is information on how to do BAT

Training method BAT http://empoweredanimals.com/

http://empoweredanimals.com/BAT-basics.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much for your insight. I do note that well I have no true way to prove it, the dogs seem to be very happy together when I am not a round. In other words, the aggressor only gets bossy when she feels that the other dog isn’t doing what I want. When I have tried to separate the dogs, they both get very anxious.

Then you may be looking at possession aggression of the human. Dogs can become possessive over toys, food, bones, space or humans. So I would try taking that away from her also and this will be done if each time she acts out she is removed from your presence and put behind a gate in another room.

Because this has been going on for so long it is going to take some time to retrain the way they think of each other.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You can request me at this link in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant