Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

1 yr old shepherd husky mix isn't eating well, ok but we…

1 yr old shepherd...

1 yr old shepherd husky mix isn't eating well, poops ok but we know she ate a sock several days ago...found uneaten part, regurgitated parts, not sure how much still inside possibly. Weeks prior, she has been seen for excessive anus licking & we changed her food in case it was an allergy...not much if any change. Now she's not wanting to eat...how can we determine if food allergy, sock obstruction, etc?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Dakota

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dakota?

No apparent distended ab or sensitivity. General mood is ok, like tiny treats, people bits, just not dog food.

3/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good morning, Suzanne. Has she had any diagnostics with your vet, such as a barium series to see if fabric remains in the intestines?

Is someone walking her daily to be sure that she's passing stool without sock content?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

How often is she having her anal glands expressed? Does this have any bearing on her excessive licking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A month or more ago, vet saw her for licking (& stain) & gave her a shot then said to change protein & see if it helps...the shot helped for a couple of days, been waiting on improvement with food...which seemed some better, was eating well & slightly less licking. Then she ate the sock (short man's athletic bootie kind) several days ago & hasn't eaten as well since.
Hasn't had anal expressed but didn't have need when vet saw her before. Trying to judge if we need to go back or what.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She only threw up the night before last. Poop seems fine just less often.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is walking daily, poop was normal.

I would strongly recommend that she go back in for additional diagnostics. A barium series may be instrumental in determining if this is all due to her having consumed the sock. This could not only cause a GI disturbance but the potential for blockage exists, as well. For many dogs who suffer blockages from sock consumptions, the first sign we see is a dog not wanting to eat. I would pursue this first since you know what has most recently changed in her history that might be linked to her symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thought that might be inevitable...but what do you think about food allergy (prior to sock)?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wondered if lack of appetite & anal licking could be symptoms regardless of sock...

I think it's going to be difficult to determine if this might be allergies without overcoming the issues that the sock has created first. When giving a new diet to determine if allergies might be the cause, it can take 12-16 weeks (sometimes more) before we see the most improvements. It's hard to tell when injections are given (especially if these are steroid) if food allergies are the cause, general inflammation or if the pet might have environmental allergies. It could be a combination of all, in fact.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds like a lot of testing to come. She did great as a pup till last month or 2...then, after her 1st cycle ended, she started anal irritation. Vet had recommended not to spay until after 1 yr old, so she went thru a heat.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could hormones be involved?

It's possible, but since spring is upon us it's more likely that this might have a seasonal component. You might ask your vet about trying a medication called Glandex for her, as well. She does need to be going in for regular anal gland expressions (every 3-4 weeks) to ensure that her glands are not just naturally becoming full and needing expression. Typically smaller breed dogs need regular expressions but some larger breed dogs do, as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** for now I guess. What is glandex?

Glandex is a medication made by a veterinarian to help care for chronic anal gland problems: https://www.glandex.com If she's excessively licking, even if due to allergies, it may help her.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks :)

Certainly. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse