Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 13 week old teacup yorkie that is only 2 pounds & I…

I have a 13...

I have a 13 week old teacup yorkie that is only 2 pounds & I caught her chewing on s pill

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

I got most of it out of her mouth but she prob got about a quarter of it. I had a friend stay with me last week so I’m almost positive it’s 1 of her 1mg Xanax. What do I do??

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No her name is ruby.

3/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m thinking it was either that or an Aleve

When in doubt about how much was consumed or what medication, a dog should always go in to see a veterinarian promptly and take the remaining tablet with you. At 2#, your little girl has had access to roughly 1x too much Xanax (if that's what this is). Even if she did not eat the entire pill, she's still consumed enough to cause an overdosage. With Xanax overdoses, we usually see CNS effects. Although death is rare in small animals, it can happen. If you choose to wait and watch from home, look for the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, difficulty walking, agitation and vocalization.

At 2#, if this was an Aleve consumption, she's consumed enough to cause significant GI and kidney problems. She needs to see a vet promptly for treatment. If you must watch from home, be on the lookout for symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, avoidance of food or water, blood being passed in the stool or vomit, black stools and death.

If you need help finding a location that can see her now, I'll need your city and state.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is cns effects?

CNS=central nervous system. I have listed the main symptoms we'd be concerned about here: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, difficulty walking, agitation and vocalization

Do you need help finding a vet that can see her this morning?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, it’s been 40-50 min since she got it, how long if no symptoms will I know tat she’s prob ok?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also she actually has an appointment alresfybalready tomor afternoon for 2nd round of shots

It will truly depend on which medication she consumed. She truly needs to go in NOW to have this consumption addressed. Her appointment this afternoon for vaccines may be too late and she may be far too ill to receive those vaccines. This needs to be addressed promptly. If her vet is not open now, she needs to go to a local ER.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even if she’s not showing any symptoms?

She's not right now, but she could be by 2pm. Again, it depends on which medication she consumed. The Xanax carries a low risk of death, but naproxen (aleve) can cause death in dogs, as well as a wide range of other symptoms (just like the Xanax can). Just because she isn't showing symptoms 45-60 minutes following ingestion doesn't mean it won't occur in the next 10-12 hours. If she were my companion, we'd be headed in to the local ER to have decontamination efforts performed. I would take the tablet with you so your vet can determine what the medication is, if possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What vet is near my address that is open now & what will they do to her. It’s way to small of an amount to pump her stomach & vomiting wouldn’t get anything out either cause again if the very little amount.2985 Vianey Place
Green cove springs, FL 32043
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She’s playing & is begging for treats would feeding her hurt or help?

Even with a small amount, the fluid in her stomach would come up as well as any part of the tablet ingested that hasn't been dissolved. Many vets, especially when we don't know what medication was consumed, will give charcoal as well. IV fluids and monitoring are also indicated.

Affiliated Veterinary Emergency Clinic:(###) ###-####/p>

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank u very much for the prompt help/response. I’m going to call her vet & then this one if they can’t see her yet

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse